Wednesday, December 19, 2007

God is Faithful



But now, this is what the LORD says - He who created you, O Jacob, He who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour..." Isaiah 43:1-3a

Don't be afraid. I've heard more than once, tho I've yet to count them myself, that 365 times in the Bible it is written: "Do not be afraid" or "Fear not." Coincidence? I don't think so. :) Daily, a reminder to not be afraid...

What are you afraid of? Do you need to be afraid? Or is there something you can do with that fear besides holding onto it and letting it rule over you?

I find it slightly discomfiting that those verses don't say "if you pass through waters or rivers" or "if you walk through the fire..." They say "when." Trials come. It happens. But if we know Jesus, we know the One who promised they wouldn't ultimately overwhelm us. He took an entire nation through a sea on dry ground. He kept three men alive in a furnace. And He will walk with you today. "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." (James 4:8) Don't be afraid. He is faithful.

1 comment:

Barry said...

That's just what I needed to hear right now. God is indeed with us through every trial. Thanks for posting that.