Thursday, June 12, 2008

New Starbucks = New Lesson Learned

So tonite, on my way to the grocery store, I noticed that the brand-new Starbucks just opened. I figured, what would go better with grocery shopping than a tall vanilla soy steamer? I stop in and place my order. It takes forever to get the drink. Mind you, I’m the only customer in the building and there are 3 people behind the counter with a 4th one on his way. So, I’m getting a little inpatient, saying things in my mind like,

“How long does it take to pump vanilla and steam soy?”
“How bout we train everybody then open the store?”
“Umm, the store will be closed by the time I get this thing…”


Absolutely rude of me, I know. As I was thinking all of that, the Holy Spirit reminded me of what my life looked like and what I was dealing with. New kid on the block at a new job that I’m probably not really qualified for. I basically have a job that requires accounting or finance experience–I have neither. And it’s pretty obvious I’m struggling. I’m way behind the curve and it’s been very discouraging. I’ve been very fortunate as everyone at work has really encouraged me.


So here I am; in the same boat as that poor barista behind the counter. The new guy, just learning the ropes, probably doesn’t have any experience and I have the gaul to be bitter, or angry, or hasty. I never said anything out loud, but the fact that I was thinking in my mind really forced me to evaluate how merciful and graceful I’m being with people around me. Is me being impatient and short-tempered SHOWING & LIVING OUT the love of Christ? Nope. Is my behavior lining up with the behavior of a person TRANSFORMED by grace? Nope. So I just began to think and ask for forgiveness. It’s been hard, but it’s funny that God would use something so close to my life, like a starbucks to teach me about mercy & grace & the love of Christ.


While at the grocery store I thought about the whole starbucks thing and how I was going to really keep striving to live grace & mercy out. I began to ask myself if I am living a life that is pouring out great measures of grace & mercy. I began to ask myself if my leadership was something that exuded grace & mercy. I began to ask myself if my heart was something that just wreaked of grace & mercy. The answer to all those questions was “nope”.


Today while at work I got the chance to share with a co-worker who God is and just quote scripture and see how scripture does such an amazing job at revealing who God really is. Moreso than my life ever will. I mean, it’s God’s word, it defends itself! I love it! But in that time of sharing, it really struck me how I have no place to condemn anyone as I am under the same condemnation without Christ. And even under the Grace of Christ, I too will stand before the throne of judgement…just like all of those who reject grace. It’s powerful.


All in all, I’m realizing that for most of my life I’ve been living in a religion that is Man-Centered and not God-Centered. For what is man? The Psalmist says, “Each man’s life is but a breath.”–Psalm 39:5

No comments: