Monday, October 8, 2007

I shall not speak of evil (nor of good)

Work is a very trying place for me spiritually. Gossip runs rampant, customers are ignorant, and employees are irritating at best. It is very easy to succumb to the daily grind and start letting the pressures of work get to me. I try very hard to avoid the gossip and keep my tongue from speaking badly of certain customers and most employees.

I know full well that the workplace can be a great forum to speak the name of Jesus Christ and His gift of grace, mercy, and love. However, I am always too busy trying to complete the tasks assigned to me or the hold my tongue from speaking slander. This may very well be the devil in trying to distract me from the Word of God. But I complete my assignments and I do not join in with any hurtful words.

In the meanwhile, I am all too aware of the fact that I am not speaking of the Good News to anybody. This has an impact on me because I know that my life is not to complete tasks given to me by my bosses. It is for the Lord. And until He returns, it is our duty to spread The Message.

To make matters worse, this past week I have been reading Jesus Freaks by dc Talk. This has put a greater awareness on me, that while we live in a free country, able to speak the Word of the Lord without fear of reprimand from our neighbors, that I have not been spreading the Good News in my circle of influence. This has weighed heavily on me.

God, in His great wisdom and love, has shown me it is never too late. This weekend, I spent a great deal of time reading the Bible, and He led me to Psalm 39. David, a great leader and man of God, said

I said, "I will watch my ways
and keep my tongue from sin;
I will put a muzzle on my mouth
as long as the wicked are in my presence."
But when I was silent and still,
not even saying anything good,
my anguish increased.
My heart grew hot within me,
and as I meditated, the fire burned;
then I spoke with my tongue

God knows well enough our own hearts. He has already spoken, well in advance, about every situation we would face in life. God has spoken to me through his Word. I go with a new strength and vigor for God. Please pray for me, and others, that we are able to speak words of life to people that I work with, and strangers that I may meet.

Also pray for the people who will be starting the Life 2.0 series in their homes to bring new believers to Christ. They are reaching out to those around them, so may the Lord give them words that will pierce their hearts.



1 comment:

Happy said...

Well said, Joe. This makes me think of a few verses from the New Testament:

1 Corinthians 15:58 - Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

2 Corinthians 9:8 - And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

Colossians 3:23-24 - Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

Philippians 1:4-6 - In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.