Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Observations and Reflections

So I have noticed at times I definitely can ramble, and you know what - I don't care. I've really been processing what the title of this blogspot is and it dawned on me: I never really thought about what it truly means to chase Jesus. I really love the way that sounds and the way you can imagine that. "Following Jesus" sounds cool and all, but you get the sense that you are right behind Him and going at a smooth and steady pace, not breaking a sweat or anything. "Chasing Jesus" however, sounds like a fast-paced trying just to get closer to Jesus. I imagine running at full pace and just being able to get a glimpse of Jesus. Just a continuous motion that (if you are truly seeking) you don't slow down but want to run that much faster.

Have you ever noticed that when you are running or going towards something, it's so much sweeter when there is a goal, objective, or prize at the end? Again, it never really dawned on me that our prize is at the end of our race and we need to be vigorously going after that prize. Dehydration and fatigue might set in, but the next cool-off station is around the bend. The chase for Jesus is not a sprint in which you get ultimate fulfillment. It is an on-going pursuit in which as you pass an obstacle, you feel great, get some Gatorade, and keep going. And then you start off again. We will always be chasing the prize until we see Jesus face to face. Our pursuit is never ending but our Reward is abundant.

The race we have been set forth on may put obstacles in our path; it might even send us on a detour. However, if we keep running the race to gain the ultimate prize we are well on our way. However, we also need to remember that we might need to help others on their path and that if they stumble, we need to get them up. This prize is better when all make it to the end and ALL are there to celebrate. A party isn't too much fun when you are by yourself. If we are going to "Rock the House," we'd better have a good strong force with us.

As I just think this week and reflect on the race I have been on, I can definitely say I have fallen into a manhole a couple of times. I just had to get right back up again, wipe off the sludge that was slowing me down, and get back to running. You think Nike makes a good shoe? They've got nothing on the good old B-I-B-L-E -- best shoe you could possibly use to keep your head in the race and keep your feet pumping. That's the brand for me. I hope you all remember that the chase for Jesus is a full force drive, not a Sunday walk by the beach. Keep your momentum and drive during the week; get refueled whenever you can. And don't forget your Nikes (your Bible) at home. God is Love, and where there is Love, grace can be found.

God Bless
Benjamin C. Volling

No comments: